The Queen of The South Supporters Site
Friday, 18th January, 2019
First Defeat
Marc McAusland

By Stuart McLaren

Date 6th September, 2009

Queens suffered their first defeat of the season at the Quarter Final stage of the Alba Challenge Cup this afternoon.  While I'd have loved Queens to go on to meet Annan in the Semi Final, I can't say I'm devastated by this result, indeed, I have to admit it was about 5:30 before I even remembered to check the result of this game!  I'll take this defeat on the chin if it means we win next weeks league game.

Sunday 6th September, 2009
Victoria Park Dingwall
Alba Challenge Cup Quarter Final
Attendance : 964

Queens 0

Ross County 2

Di Giacomo (26)
Craig (90)
Queens Yellows McAusland
Queens Reds

Queens Team

Reid C
(Quinn 66)
(McLaren 70)
(Kean 72)
Unused Subs : McQuilken Hutton none
none   none  

Match Report

You've guessed it, a trip to Dingwall was the furthest thing from my mind!  Ewan, as ever, was there for The Official Site.


Referee: Mike Tumilty

Gordon Chisholm resisted the temptation to make wholesale changes to his team for the Alba Cup tie at Dingwall. Instead he merely restored veterans Stevie Tosh and Barry Wilson to the line up in place of last week's goalscorers Quinn and McLaren. There were no other changes in the sixteen with Gerry McLaughlan the only travelling player not selected. The home side were also at full strength and buoyed by last weeks' derby win at Inverness. Paul Di Giacomo led their front line.

The match was three minutes old when Bob Harris was first to go close with a 25 yard free kick narrowly wide. At the other end though Stuart Kettlewell forced a fine save from Roy following Morrison's free kick. Craig Reid was next to fire at goal for Queens on the end of a mazy run but again the effort was off target and failed to test McGovern. On 20 minutes Marc McAusland was booked for a trip on Gardyne on the edge of the box but it was Queens who threatened on the break from the resulting free kick. Reid broke up the right and his cross narrowly eluded David Weatherston six yards out.

The deadlock was broken on 26 minutes when a poor ball forward from Tosh was intercepted and sent immediately forward. McAusland stretched for the ball but missed the interception and Paul Di Giacomo was sent clear. Rather than try to round Roy he struck early and rattled the ball high into the net from the edge of the penalty area.

Five minutes before the interval Stuart Kettlewell was booked for a high challenge on Tosh but the half ended with County well on top.

County began the second period continuing to press for a second goal and forcing a handful of corners. On 56 minutes Paul Lawson seized on a loose ball and fired in a fizzing low shot that forced a fine save out of Roy. At the other end, after Weatherston blocked a clearance with his face (!), Barry Wilson hammered a shot goalward that McGovern didn't get much on but just enough for the ball to dribble wide of target. It was his last involvement as Willie McLaren was introduced in his place on 64 minutes. At the same time Steven Craig replaced Michael Gardyne for the home side. A minute later Rocco Quinn replaced Stephen McKenna.

The changes gave Queens impetus and a curling Tosh effort narrowly missed the top corner. Next it was McLaren climbing above a defender to head a Holmes cross narrowly wide. McLaren sprinted onto a fine ball froward from Weatherston but didn't get hold of his shot properly before, on 65 minutes Martin Scott replaced Iain Vigurs and Stewart Kean replaced Weatherston.

On 78 minutes Brittain's 25 yard shot was blocked by Steven Watt when it appeared goalbound and then Ludo Roy saved smartly at feet seconds later. Queens hit back though and Holmes had a fine header from McLaren's cross parried away. With five minutes to go Kean's shot on the turn went close but wide. The chances continued to come with McLaren next to get a look at target but his floating effort went across the face of goal and clear before Steven Craig volleyed one over at the other end. On 88 minutes County made their final change with Garry Wood replacing Paul Di Giacomo. Queens gambled everything forward in the final minute when they won a free kick on halfway but it backfired as the ball was cleared and Steven Craig sprinted clear from halfway to beat Roy.


Mr Goo's Video Highlights :


Man of The Match : None
Read The Opposition's View at - Click Here For A Link To a Ross County Site.


Total hits: 51
Daily hits: 2
The Official
Queen of The South
Internet Site
The Official QoS Site